Monday, December 14, 2015

The thought of an end to all flight is unbearable.

Two years ago this week, I bought a one-way ticket to Ecuador, with my life savings standing by, and the intention to purchase a little piece of land, where I could grow some food, and learn about living closer to the earth, surrounded by nature. I didn't have a clear vision of what the place would become, but I simply felt compelled to work towards realizing this project.

Tomorrow, I leave for Ecuador, again with a one-way ticket, but no real plans to return to the US. Other than, maybe to get my kitty, Chimney Sweep, if no one is able to bring her to me.

I still have no clear idea of what purpose Terra Nova will serve in my new community near the coast, lined up and down with fishing/surfing towns. Just some imaginings...

I am feeling supremely supported by a bunch of angels on the ground in Ecuador:
my fiends, Chris & Johnny, who recently moved to Quito from LA, with their 95 year-old mother;
Philip Baker (and his beautiful family), a colleague of my sister, who grows/exports chiles;
Rebeca, a friend in Salinas my mother recently adopted into our big, extended family;
Todd, my hero in Olón, who has made several trips to the finca, taking photos & videos to keep me up to date with what is going on on my land;
Noelia, my Argentine real estate agent, without whom I would've never found Terra Nova;
My first four volunteers for setting up Terra Nova - Mark (my buddy in Hollywood), Ted (retired builder moving from Vermont to Ecuador today), Kelley (like me, a former Angelina who grew tired of the Hollywood grind), and Kasijani, whom we found on The Poosh, and who shares a birthday with me (stop by Terra Nova January 6, if you wanna celebrate with us!);
Monica Rivendiera, of Eagle Condor Farm;
and most of all, Diego, in Guayaquil, who has taken 3 weeks off work to be of service to Terra Nova - serving as translator, driver, host, moral support & dear friend.

To those of you following this blog down in Ecuador, please drop me a line. If you're ever on the coast, I'd love to meet you all. To those in the US (I imagine I know most of you personally), COME VISIT! Best ways to reach me (in descending order): WhatsApp, Skype, text my 612#, email, PM on FB, phoning my 612# (a little spendy).

Gotta get back to packing, weighing luggage, cuddling my kitty goodbye, etc. It's cold here in LA this week (lows in the 30s and damp), so I'm looking quite forward to more pleasant climes...


“Yes, it was too late, and Sabina knew she would leave Paris, move on, and on again, because were she to die here they would cover her up with a stone, and in the mind of a woman for whom no place is home the thought of an end to all flight is unbearable.” 
― Milan KunderaThe Unbearable Lightness of Being

9 comments:

  1. good luck , i have a land in via dos mangas but sooner or later i will work on it :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, you are my neighbor! We are 4km up via Dos Mangas, across from Hostería Arandu. You?

      Delete
  2. It was my dream too 3 years ago but then life got in the way. I look forward to following your blog! Wonderful adventure, happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind and supportive words, Mish. We invite you to come visit us the next time you're in coastal Ecuador!

      Delete
  3. Salud! Well done! Congrats! I'm glad you were able to achieve (conseguir) your dream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words of support, Elissa. I hope you are achieving your dreams as well!

      Delete
  4. Hi Catherine. Hope you are doing well my friend. Hope u are loving ur new life

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Catherine. Hope you are doing well my friend. Hope u are loving ur new life

    ReplyDelete
  6. Catherine, I found this on WWOOF and would love to explore the idea of staying and working at this location. I sent an email earlier, but wanted to reach out on here as well. Looking forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete